The Chicago Air and Water Show returns to the skies August 18-19, 2012. Crowds will be flocking to North Avenue Beach to watch the U.S. Navy Blue Angels and Leap Frogs perform their awe-inspiring stunts. With more than 2 million people trying to snatch a good spot to watch the action, there are bound to be equally as many people vying for good parking spots.
Getting to the Show
To help you combat the parking crowds, below are some helpful tips:
- Spectators may be inclined to go to the regular North Avenue Beach Lot, but due to the event, this lot is CLOSED.
- Be mindful of street closures. The Traffic Management Authority starts closing streets early in the morning.
- If you’re arriving after 10 a.m., give yourself at least 45 minutes for parking and walking to your final viewing spot.
- After 10 a.m. avoid Lake Shore Drive altogether.
Viewing the Air and Water Show
North Avenue Beach is the epicenter of all the action, but other nearby locations will still give you a good view.
- Belmont Harbor: 3600 Recreation Drive
Just a bit farther from all of the action, this may be a more relaxing experience for the family.
- Navy Pier: 600 E. Grand Avenue
Navy Pier, just a couple miles south of North Avenue Beach, is another optimal spot for viewing and is near restaurants and other tourists attractions.
- Northerly Island: 1400 S. Linn White Drive
Located in the heart of Museum Campus, this is a great viewing spot if you’re looking to stay south of the crowds.
- Oak Street Beach: 1000 N. Lake Shore Drive
Just north of North Avenue Beach, this is another sandy option for viewing the show and is walking distance from restaurants and retail.
Parking for the Air and Water Show
Once you’ve decided where you going to watch the Air and Water Show, you’ll want to plan how you’re going to get there and where you’ll park your car. We’ve compiled a list of parking garage locations that are all either close to the places you’ll be watching the skies from, or close to public transit that’ll help you get to those viewing locations.
• Garage: John Hancock Building
• Garage: 253 E. Delaware
• Garage: Belmont House
• Garage: 900-910 LSD
• Garage: Superior Place
• Garage: Pierre Condo
• Garage: 1130 S. Michigan
• Garage: 345 Fullerton
• Garage: 2960 LSD
• Garage: Huron Superior Parking
• Garage: Elm Street
• Garage: Newberry Plaza
• Garage: James Kilmer Garage
• Garage: Piper’s Alley Garage
• Garage: Navy Pier
• Garage: 680 N. LSD
• Garage: Soldier Field (North Garage)
• Parking Lot: Soldier Field – East Museum Lot